Do you know the feeling when you are in the middle of important work and suddenly the “spinning wheel” (or more accurately- the “circle of death”) shows up uninvited? That dreaded circle spins on your computer and you can’t get your computer to do anything. You hit a few buttons – any button- and nothing happens. “Screw it,” you mutter to yourself and you go for the hard reboot. Within a few minutes, it’s game time again.
Do you ever feel like you are the one spinning in circles and need a reboot? Of course you do. We all do. That “spinning wheel” is usually a sign that you’ve overloaded your computer’s processing power. Humans should come with the same warning signal! Sometimes we overload ourselves too—and the result is the same. Frustration, lack of productivity, and finally shutdown. We need to reboot too. But how?
Here are a few simple ways you can hit the reset button in your own life. These are designed to be things that you can easily incorporate into your day. I’ve divided them into the four primary dimensions of energy that we teach in our The Energized Leader Training: physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual (or relational). Below are some reboot ideas in each of these categories:
- Stand up during all conference calls
- Take a quick walk outside
- Shoulder rolls/hamstring stretches every 30-45 minutes
- Keep healthy snacks on hand and stay hydrated
- On Sunday night, plan meals for the week
- Stick to a consistent ‘go-to-bed’ time
- 1-minute deep breathing breaks throughout the day
- Build in a 30-minute workout to your day
- Journal for 5 minutes each evening before going to sleep
- Invest in gratitude for 1 minute each morning upon waking
- Listen to soothing music on commute to and from work
- Practice visualization once per day
- Keep a book on your nightstand
- Turn cell your phone for a period of time
- Practice mindful meditation at the beginning or end of every day for 5 minutes
- Institute one “technology/electronics FREE” day per week
- Turn on “Do Not Disturb” during meetings.
Spiritual / Relational
- Morning or evening quiet time/prayer
- Participate in a spiritual small group
- Absorb spiritual content- articles, books, podcasts
- Listen to music that makes you feel aligned spiritually
- Call a loved one to check in
- Consciously say 1 positive statement each time I speak with my spouse/partner
- Reflect on your purpose daily for 5 minutes
- Load favorite photos onto your screensaver monthly
Print this list out and keep it in a visible place. Be intentional about incorporating them into your life until they become habits. In this tough environment, we all need to find ways to reboot that can be quick but effective. Otherwise, you’ll shut down– just like your laptop. Remember, you are responsible for your energy. Make sure you are investing it in the people and things that matter most.
The Molly Fletcher Company inspires leaders, teams and organizations to kick-start growth. A keynote speaker and author, Molly draws on her decades of experiences working as a sports agent. Her company offers training and coaching programs to help leaders unleash their potential, including: Game Changer Negotiation Training, which teaches business people a framework for successful negotiating; The Energized Leader training, which teaches people how to manage their energy to achieve focus and freedom; and a monthly coaching program, Game Changer Leadership Huddles, to help members recharge their purpose and mindset. Sign up here to receive our weekly newsletter and subscribe to the Game Changers with Molly Fletcher podcast on iTunes.