Teams don’t need managers. They need coaches. And a great coach is more likely to increase capacity and inspire the team’s peak performance than a manager is.
In my long career representing elite pro athletes and coaches, I saw how the best coaches created a way for their teams to achieve peak performance. Coaching is also a key tool for entrepreneurs seeking to build on start-up success.
What’s different about a coach’s mindset? Here are just a few ways:
- A coach provides consistent feedback in the moment. Business is moving faster than ever, and timely encouragement or guidance can be the game changer that boosts your team to its goal. If you wait to schedule feedback, you may miss the chance to make a difference.
- A coach supports a single key goal for each team member. A manageable, focused goal is more likely to produce results.
- A coach gathers the team in a regular huddle. Dominant companies like Apple and Facebook use regular meetings to drive progress and create accountability. Even John D. Rockefeller did this. Showing up builds trusts, and by huddling, a coach helps a team say goodbye to the Lone Ranger model of getting things done.
- A coach anchors daily work against the bigger goals. Great coaches keep everyone aligned and focused on weekly, quarterly and yearly goals.
- A coach can reach more team members more effectively. Companies benefit from a ratio of one coach to 20 to 25 team members, which is three times the manager-to-employee ratio in traditional org charts. The success of a system like this depends on hiring exceptionally motivated employees who align with company values, with a history of proven results and foundational skills.
- Even a CEO needs a coach. Many of the top CEOs have coaches. Just because you’re the boss doesn’t mean you’re done growing. Find a coach to help you continue on your growth path.
Your Game Changer Takeaway
By adopting a coach’s mindset, a manager can achieve more effective leadership in the moment and the long run. As companies scale up, they need leaner, more efficient teams. Through coaching, you will help each team member tap their potential and move forward together to peak performance.
The Molly Fletcher Company inspires leaders, teams and organizations to kick-start growth. A keynote speaker and author, Molly draws on her decades of experiences working as a sports agent. Her company offers training and coaching programs to help leaders unleash their potential, including: Game Changer Negotiation Training, which teaches business people a framework for successful negotiating; The Energized Leader training, which teaches people how to manage their energy to achieve focus and freedom; and a monthly coaching program, Game Changer Leadership Huddles, to help members recharge their purpose and mindset. Sign up here to receive our weekly newsletter and subscribe to the Game Changers with Molly Fletcher podcast on iTunes.