Jeff Foxworthy is one of the most recognized comedians in the country, a bestselling author, producer and writer. Jeff’s new comedy special “The Good Old Days,” is streaming now on Netflix and is his first solo special in 24 years. You might know him for his career in comedy and on TV, but on this episode you’ll meet the man behind the mic. On this episode, we talk about turning your passion into a career and creating a life that’s aligned with your priorities.
- The night that Jeff won his first comedy contest… and met his wife (4:27)
- Don’t rest on your talent (8:30)
- Build your failure tolerance (13:30)
- How Jeff was rejected by 14 book publishers before signing his first deal (14:12)
- What gave Jeff the clarity to leave his job at IBM to pursue a career in comedy (17:04)
- Jeff’s big break that got him noticed (20:56)
- Are you born funny or is it a skill set you can learn? (24:19)
- How he tests new content and captures audience feedback (26:19)
- His process for honing his craft (29:48)
- Don’t confuse who you are with what you do. (32:40)
- Live your life in alignment with your priorities and core values (35:17)
- Take the time to learn people’s stories (39:00)
Resources / People Mentioned
- Jeff Foxworthy: The Good Old Days (Netflix)
- Blue Collar Comedy Tour
- The Jeff Foxworthy Show
- Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?
- John Smoltz, baseball player
- Ernie Johnson, Jr.
- Judd Apatow
- Johnny Carson, TV host
- Rodney Dangerfield, comedian
- Jay Leno, TV host
- Jerry Seinfeld, comedian
- Truett Cathy, founder of Chick-fil-A
Recommended For You
Did you enjoy this episode? Then listen to:
- Chase Rice on Finding the Drive to Achieve Your Dreams
- Ernie Johnson on The Power of Authenticity
- John Smoltz on Getting Outside Your Comfort Zone
Thanks for checking out Game Changers with Molly Fletcher. Be sure to subscribe on Apple Podcasts or your favorite podcast app and leave a rating or review!